Glasgow What's On
Scottish Recipes: Tea Scones
3 lb pastry flour (or all-purpose)
1 pt milk or buttermilk
10 oz butter
10 oz sugar
¼ oz salt
3 oz baking powder
Sift salt, baking powder, & flour. Rub in butter. Add raisins. Dissolve sugar in the milk.
Make a well in the centre of dry mixture.
Add milk and eggs into well. Bring dry up through wet ingredients.
Dust surface with flour. Place dough on surface & knead together.
Roll out approximately ½-in thick.
Cut out with a 2.5-in cutter. Egg wash
Bake at 420 degrees for 20 minutes.
(Makes 5 dozen)
Alternative Recipe: Cheese Scones
(makes 1 dozen large scones)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
6 oz cheddar, grated
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 Tablespoon sugar
½ cup sour cream
3 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ teaspoon baking soda
3 Tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients.
- Make a well in flour mixture, add egg mixture and stir until dough clings together.
- Turn out onto floured surface, knead 10-12 times until smooth.
- Roll out 1/3-inch thick, cut with cutters.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes or until brown.
- Re-roll remaining dough and cut additional scones.
<< Return to the Scottish Recipes home page <<
All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.
Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now