Glasgow What's On
Scottish Recipes: Potted Hough
Hough is the Scottish name for "shin". This is a very traditional dish, excellent for sandwiches, for supper with toast, or for picnics.
2 and Żlb beef hough ( piece of shin bone, ) cracked
pinch of cayenne
pinch of ground all-spice
- Put the meat in one piece with the bone and seasonings into a large saucepan, then just cover it with cold water.
- Bring to boiling point, skim and turn down to a very slow simmer.
- Let it cook like this for at least 6 hours.
- Strain off the liquid, allow it to go cold then skim off any fat from the surface.
Mince the meat finely and return it to the stock, taste for seasoning, then cook again for around 15 minutes.
- Wet some small moulds or dishes and divide the mixture between them.
- Chill until they are set.
- Unmould to serve.
<< Return to the Scottish Recipes home page <<
All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.
Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now