Glasgow What's On
Scottish Recipes: Neeps and Tatties
2 lb Potatoes; peeled & cut into eighths
1 ½ lb Yellow turnips (rutabagas) - peeled & cut into ½"-cubes
1 teaspoon Salt
¼ cup Butter; melted
1/3 cup Milk; warmed
- Prepare Tatties (mashed potatoes) and Neeps (turnips)
- In a 3 quart saucepan, combine potatoes and water to cover.
- Heat to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until potatoes are tender- about 20 minutes.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, combine turnips, ½ teaspoon salt, and water to cover.
- Heat to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until turnips are tender- about 25 to 30 minutes.
- When potatoes are tender, drain well and return to saucepan.
- With electric mixer, beat potatoes on low speed until all pieces are broken up.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt, 2 Tablespoon butter, and half of the milk.
- Beat until mixture is smooth.
- Add remaining milk and beat at high speed until smooth and fluffy.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- When turnips are tender, drain well and return to saucepan.
- Add remaining 2 Tablespoon butter and keep warm until ready to serve.
<< Return to the Scottish Recipes home page <<
All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.
Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now