Glasgow What's On
Scottish Recipes: Fish And Chips
Wherever you go in Scotland you'll see a Fish And Chip Shop. It's basically the Fast Food of Scotland and I have fond memories of summer evenings spent sitting down Anstruther Harbour in Fife, watching the tide come in as I ate my Fish and Chips.
3 pounds white-flesh fish, boneless (cod, snapper, haddock, grouper)
1 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon white pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable seasoning
Batter (recipe follows)
Chips (French fries), fresh cooked
- Cut fish into fingers about 2 oz each and place in a glass or stainless steel pan.
- Mix lemon juice with Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and vegetable seasoning.
- Pour over fish and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour, turning every so often to coat fish.
- Remove fish from marinade, drain, dip in batter and deep fry in hot oil for about 5 minutes, turning to brown both sides, if necessary.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with chips and malt vinegar.
¾ cup cornstarch
2 2/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 ¾ cups water
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup flat beer
2 teaspoons baking powder
- Mix cornstarch, flour, salt, sugar, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, beat water, egg yolks, and beer together with a whisk and slowly add dry ingredients.
- Continue to mix with whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Stir in baking powder.
- Makes enough batter to coat 3 pounds of fish.
Chips ( French Fries )
6 medium potatoes
Cooking Fat or Oil
- Wash and peel potatoes and slice lengthwise 4 or 5 times, then slice again into strips 4 or 5 times.
- Deep fry in fat or oil until brown, chips should rise near the top when they are done.
- Salt to taste.
<< Return to the Scottish Recipes home page <<
All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.
Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now