The Origin And History Of Glasgow Streets (Page 4)
By Hugh Macintosh (1902) Pages: 0 1 2 3 4 5
IBROX is both British and Gaelic, and is said by a local historian to mean the haunt of the badger (brock, Gaelic bruic, a badger). Another savant thinks that the name may have come from a rentaller, Broc - this name, and Brokas, both occurring in the rental book of the Diocesan Registers. In a charter dated 1580 the name is written Ibrokes.
INGRAM STREET, opened 1781, is named for Archibald Ingram, who had been Provost in 1762. It was previously known as the Back Cow Lone.
JACKSON STREET (from Stockwell Street to Dunlop Street) was formed by Mr. Jackson, who built the first theatre in Dunlop Street in 1782(?). This thoroughfare is now swallowed up in the G & S-W Railway Station (?).
JAMAICA STREET, opened 1763. This was about the height of the rum and sugar trade, hence the name.
JAMES WATT STREET, in honour of James Watt, the inventor of the steam engine. It had previously been known as Delftfield Lane An old mansion which stood here till 1849 was known as Watt’s House. It was said to have been utilised by him as a workshop for several years. A sketch of this house is given in Simpson’s "Glasgow in the Forties."
JANEFIELD STREET was formed on the lands of that name, which had been acquired by Robert McNair, grocer in King Street (City), and named for his wife, her maiden sobriquet being Jean Holmes. The place has since then been converted into a burying ground - the Eastern Cemetery.
JOHN STREET (City) was named for several municipal magnates at that time (1785) in office; therefore it should have been Johns' Street.
JOHN STREET (Bridgeton), named for John Walkinshaw, third of Barrowfield.
KERR STREET, named for the patrimonial estate of the Stirlings, who were the successors of the Maxwells of Pollok.
KELVIN, the wooded river.
KENT STREET opened 1802, and named for the Duke of Kent, father of our late beloved Queen. It is formed on part of the Round Croft, which belonged to Mr. Struthers,, the brewer. He, like another townsman, had a penchant for English names, and styled the other street on the croft Suffolk Street.
KILLERMONT STREET, after the lands of this name, on the banks of the Kelvin, in the parish of New Kilpatrick, about four miles from the city.
KING STREET (City) and KING STREET Calton ) were both called New Street till early in last century.
KINGSTON consists of the western portion of the lands purchased by the Magistrates and Council from Sir Robert Douglas in 1647. They extended from West Street to Kinning House Burn, and from the River Clyde td the lands of Shields.
KINGSTON DOCK, authorised by Parliamentary, Acts of 1840-46, was not completed till 1867. It was formed on the lands of Springfield, which had previously been occupied by the cotton-.spinning factory of Todd & Higginbotham.
KINNING PARK. This burgh was formed on the lands of the name. The mansion of the estate (Kinning House) stood till within the last thirty years a few yards east of Kinning Place, on Paisley Road. The name is said by a local historian to signify "rabbit park," but this is a misnomer. The true derivation is from cunyie or cunnyng, a corner. As shown in old maps, Cunnyng Park was a field formed into an angle by the intersection of the burn and the road.
KIRK STREET (Townhead), opened 1124, or earlier. A distillery was in operation here in 1786, carried on by William Menzies, who was the first in the West of Scotland to have an entered still, his license being the fourth in Scotland, the duty at that time being about one penny per gallon, and the best malt spirits were sold for three shillings per gallon. The name of this street has disappeared in the march of improvement. It was formerly the western boundary of Cathedral Square, being a continuation of High Street till it joined Castle Street.
LADYWELL STREET. The name originates from a well, which is in a niche in the wall on the north side of the street, which is bounded by the Necropolis; and it having contaminated the water, the well, which is in the form of an urn, was closed some years since.
LAMBHILL (Plantation) was so called out of compliment to the late William Graham of Lambhill, he having been one of the trustees of Mr. Maclean, proprietor of the estate.
LANCEFIELD STREET was formed on the lands of this name, which were acquired early in the last century by David Napier, the father of iron shipbuilding and marine engineering on the Clyde.
LANDRESSY STREET should be Landres Street, after a small village in France, from whence came the of the Turkey-red operatives, who built the first house in this street. It was the division between the lands of Burn Nook and Silver Grove,
LANGSIDE is rich in historic names. Battlefield and Battlefield Road are there to commemorate the struggle which quenched in blood the hopes of Scotland’s beauteous but unfortunate Queen. The memory of her secretary, Maitland of Lethington, is revived in Maitland and Lethington Avenues, and that of Lord Claud Hamilton, the commander of her forces on that inauspicious day, in Hamilton Avenue. The four, Maries, as the old song runs -
There was Marie Beaton,
And Marie Seyton,
And Mary Carmichael and me
are brought to mind in Beaton Road, Seyton Avenue, Carmichael Road, and Queen Mary Terrace, with Queen Mary Avenue in Crosshill.
LAURIESTON. This is a district on the south side of the river, which was feued from the trustees of Hutchesons’ Hospital about the beginning of last century by James Laurie, son of David Laurie, timber merchant, Jamaica Street. It was bounded on the west side by Bridge Street and Eglinton Street, on the east by Buchan Street and Portugal Street, on the south by Cavendish Street, extending north to Carlton Place, at the river side. Mr. Laurie had a penchant for high-sounding English names, and in laying off the lands gave us Bedford, Cavendish, Cumberland, Norfolk, Oxford, Portland, Salisbury, and Warwick Streets. These cognomens have remained, but Bridge Street, which he named Bloomsbury, has got a more suitable title.
LONDON STREET was formed by the Corporation. It cut through a densely-populated locality. The foundation-stone of the first tenement in it was laid with Masonic honours on 30th April, 1824. It was originally intended to carry this street eastward in front of Monteith Row and through the land of Greenhead to join London Road at what is now called Bridgeton Cross. This, it was considered, would have been a more convenient route for the stage coaches from London to enter the town than via Gallowgate; but the advent of railways and opposition of proprietors caused the scheme to be abandoned and the street remains with an awkward twist at its eastern extremity.
MACALPINE STREET, opened in 1800, was formed on the bleach-field of Brown, Carrick & Co., and named for a junior partner.
MACFARLANE STREET, opened 1815, is named for Alexander Macfarlane of Jamaica, who founded the Observatory which formerly stood on the summit of the Dowhill hill, which is now occupied by a railway company.
MACINTOSH STREET was formed on the lands of Dunchattan, which had been acquired by George Macintosh about the beginning of last century. He was proprietor of the Cudbear Works in Duke Street, and the original partner of the Hurlet(?) and Campsie Alum Co. He was also associated with the St Rollox Chemical Works when the firm was Macintosh, Tennant & Co. His son Charles was the inventor of the waterproof coat.
MACLEAN STREET (Plantation), named for William Maclean, who acquired this estate in 1828.
MACPHAIL STREET, after Dugald Macphail, who was an extensive cotton-spinner, and proprietor of several factories. His mansion, which fronts the Green in Greenhead Street, is now occupied as the Buchanan Institute.
MACPHERSON STREET was formed on ground belonging to John Macpherson of Blantyre Farm, whose coat-of-arms is emblazoned till this day on the tenement at the south corner fronting High Street. Saint Thomas Chapel stood at the eastern end of this street in the olden time.
MAIN STREET (Anderston) was called High Street previous to 18-0.
MAIN STREET (Gorbals) was called High Street up till the beginning of last century.
MAINS STREET, for the estate of Mains, which came to the Campbells of Blythswood through intermarriage with a Douglas of Mains on the female side. About 1844 the name of this street was altered to Minto Street, but it soon reverted to its old title.
MAIR STREET. (Plantation), after John Mair, a former proprietor of this estate.
MALTA STREET. This little street, which formed the east end of Norfolk Street and led into Main Street, has disappeared in the march of improvement. It was at first called Malt Street, from the circumstance that from time immemorial it had been inhabited by maltmen, who made malt and brewed ale.
MARYHILL was named for Mary Hill, proprietrix of the estate of Gairbraid. She, with the consent of her husband, Robert Graham, feued a plot of ground on 21st July 1793 to Robert Craig, grocer, one of the conditions of the feu contract being that the plot was in all time coming to be known as Maryhill. This was the foundation of the burgh.
MASON STREET was originally the site of the manse of the Rector of Renfrew. It was acquired in 1598 by John Rankene, a mason; he named it after his trade.
MAULDSLIE STREET is named for the residential estate of Lord Newlands, whose ancestor, James Hozier, was superior of the ground.
MAXWELL STREET, opened 1771. The ground upon which it is formed belonged to John Maxwell of Fingalton, from whom it was bought by Stephen Maxwell of Morriston, who was an extensive coppersmith. He was also chief partner in the Merchant Bank, the office of which was in this street, and it was he who named it.
MERCHANTS’ LANE is the eastern boundary of what was the old Merchants' House property.
MERRYFLATS, rather a strange title for a poorhouse. It was originally the muiry or miry flats. In the commissariot of Govan John Rowand or Rowane is mentioned as proprietor of Merrielands in 1680.
MILLER STREET, opened 1760 by Mr. Miller of Westerton, whose property it was carried through.
MITCHELL STREET derived the name from a Mr. Mitchell, who had a distillery in it.
MOLENDINAR BURN was in ancient times called the Gyrth or boundary burn.
MONTEITH ROW. In 1819 lining was granted for the erection of a terrace south of and parallel to Great Hamilton Street, to front the Green, and to be named in honour of Henry Monteith, who was at that time Provost of the City. He was one of the Turkey-red magnates and the founder of the Carstairs family. John Mathieson, who was manager to Henry Monteith & Co., built the first tenement in the Row. The Carstairs estate passed lately into the possession of ex-Lord Provost Sir James King.
MONTEITH STREET (Bridgeton) is also named for Henry Monteith.
MONTROSE STREET, opened in 1787, was named for the Duke. This is one of the steepest streets in the City, and the writer’s paternal parent, while attending an educational establishment in it during the early years of last century, was in the habit during the course of a severe winter of tobogganing down the slope in company with his schoolmates. One day, while half a dozen of the little wretches were careering down on their temporary sleigh, the boys in front got skeered, and at this moment Dr. Rankin, of the Ramshorn Church, which is in the vicinity, came stepping out of Richmond Street, halfway down the slope, carefully watching his footing on the ice-bound street and all unweeting of the avalanche behind. It was on him in an instant, and in rushing past one of the boys s, in desperation, grabbed the reverend gentleman’s nether limb with disastrous results. Instantly his heels were in the air; hat, cane, and spectacles - where, oh, where! He was virtually a wreck, and never thoroughly recovered the shock, dying not long after in February, 1827, in ignorance of the author of this unfortunate coup. Montrose is perhaps unduly commemorated in having two streets named for him, but as he is the only Duke on record that had a residence of his own in town, he is perhaps entitled to the extra recognition, as even at the present day the patent nobility seem to eschew this city, every titled personage having a residence in it, with three exceptions, having received the honours from civic services.
MORDAUNT STREET, for Lady Mordaunt, who gained considerable notoriety some years since.
MOUNT FLORIDA was at first named Mount Floridon. Advertisements anent these lands can be seen in files of the Glasgow Herald of seventy years ago.
MOUNT VERNON was named after a tobacco plantation in Virginia.
MUIRHEAD STREET (Gorbals) was named for Robert Muirhead, who was a Bailie in the town in 1798. It was, however, for many years better known as Warm Water Street, from a flow of waste hot water that came from a factory and ran down the side of the street into the river.
MUIRPARK STREET was formed on the lands of this name, which had been acquired by Mr. Gardner, flesher, Partick.