>>Print This Page <<
Pollok Country Park
2060 Pollokshaws Road
Tel +44 (0) 141 616 6410
Fax +44 (0) 141 616 6521
Pollok Estate has been the home of the Maxwell family since the mid-13th century. The current house is an impressive 18th century mansion, filled with wonderful collections of Spanish art, antique furniture, silverware and ceramics, and an impressive library. A visit to Pollok House offers a snapshot of life in a country house, yet only minutes away from the city.
The house's beautifully kept gardens, including a collection of over 1,000 species of rhododendrons, are also open to the public. Running through them is the White Cart river, spanned by a bridge built in 1757. Sir William Stirling Maxwell (1818-1878) collected most of the paintings which you can see on display in the house. He became an authority on the art and history of Spain, and published the first reference work in English on the subject. The collection includes works by El Greco (the famous Lady in a Fur Wrap) and Goya, as well as works by the English poet and artist William Blake. Throughout the house paintings were hung formally to complement the proportions and decoration of the interiors. This can be seen in the way the series of Dutch 18th century hunting scenes are incorporated through the use of moulded plaster frames in the Billiard Room.
Pollok House is situated in the tranquil surroundings of Pollok Country Park in the South of the city, and is a short walk from the Burrell Collection.
Pollok House has designated disabled parking bays to the front of the building. Wheelchair access is by the side entrance – please ask staff for assistance. Ground floor is wheelchair accessible and the first floor has wheelchair access by staff assisted lift. Disabled toilet facilities are available on the ground floor.
For more photographs see the images page.