>>Print This Page <<
270 Sauchiehall Street
Tel +44 (0) 141 565 4137
Fax +44 (0) 141 565 4111
Built in 1856, the Galleries are named after their builder, Archibald McLellan. Following his death, Glasgow City Corporation bought the building, and it was used as an exhibition space.
In the 1980s the Galleries were ravaged by fire, but re-opened in 1990, following a £3 million restoration. This changed it from a general temporary exhibition space housing everything from trade shows to model railway exhibitions, to what was then the largest high-quality, air-conditioned, temporary exhibition space outside London.
The interior of the building is Category B listed. While Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is closed for refurbishment, the McLellan Galleries will host the Art Treasures of Kelvingrove exhibition from April 2003, a display of the city's best-loved art works. The Galleries were originally situated behind a frontage of shops, and this is still the case today.
The main entrance can be found amid the bustling shoppers on Glasgow's Sauchiehall Street, in the city centre, a few minutes away from train and underground stations.
McLellan Galleries is located in the middle of one of Glasgow’s main thoroughfares in the centre of the city.
McLellan Galleries has full accessibility to gallery areas for wheelchair users, with a lift available from the main entrance off Sauchiehall Street. Male and female toilets are accessible to wheelchair users, and the café area is also fully accessible.
For more photographs see the images page.