>>Print This Page <<
|Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery|
University of Glasgow
Tel +44 (0) 141 330 4221 or
+44 (0) 141 330 5431
Fax +44 (0) 141 330 3617
In 1783 William Hunter bequeathed his substantial and varied collections to the University of Glasgow. They were ‘to be well and carefully packed up and safely conveyed to Glasgow and delivered to the Principal and Faculty of the College of Glasgow to whom I give and bequeath the same to be kept and preserved by them and their successors for ever.... in such sort, way, manner and form as .... shall seem most fit and most conducive to the improvement of the students of the said University of Glasgow.’
Hunter also bequeathed £8000 for the construction of a suitable museum. Designed by William Stark, the building, classical in style with a dome on top, was erected in the gardens of the College behind the High Street. The heating system was designed by James Watt. The Museum was opened to the public in 1807 ‘from twelve until two every day, except Sunday.’ The Hunterian is thus Scotland’s oldest museum.
The University of Glasgow is situated in the Hillhead district, 3km west of the city centre.
The venue's aim is to make all of our displays accessible, in the widest sense, to everyone who wishes to see The Hunterian collections. In that context, they are striving to improve the displays and access to them, year-on-year. Currently, wheelchair-bound visitors, or people with motor disabilities, can access all but one balcony area of the Museum, by lift, while in the Art Gallery, access is by ramp to ground floor, and thereafter by lift to the basement and first floor Print Gallery. Unfortunately, access is not possible to the upper floors of the replica Mackintosh House, though they are currently looking at alternatives. The Zoology Museum, where collections are on a single level, is accessible by ramp. Both the Museum and the Art Gallery have toilets for disabled people.