>>Print This Page <<
|Glasgow Cathedral & Glasgow Necropolis|
Castle Street/High Street
Glasgow Cathedral is built on the site where St Kentigern, or Mungo, the first bishop within the ancient British kingdom of Strathclyde, was thought to have been buried in AD 612.
The present cathedral was built during the 13th to 15th centuries and is the only medieval cathedral on the Scottish mainland to have survived the 1560 Reformation virtually complete.
Glasgow Cathedral is on the eastern edge of Glasgow city centre and is accessible on foot from the centre by walking north up High Street from Glasgow Cross (Merchant city), or by going east along cathedral Street from Buchanan Street. The Necropolis is on high ground adjacent to Glasgow Cathedral and is not very accessible to anyone who has difficulty walking up steep and sometimes soft paths.
Good access to the church through the west door with ramps up to the working part of the church. Access to the Lower Church is available by a ramp at the north-east door, which is approached over cobbles and not normally left open.
Visitors with disabilities should ask the steward on duty for access. The Blackadder Aisle is not suitable for wheelchairs.
For more photographs see the images page.